Christiansburg Baptist Church was founded in 1799 in a log building across the road from the present location. Until 1845, Christiansburg Baptist Church was known as Six Mile Baptist Church.
The oldest state west of the Appalachian plateau is Kentucky. Originally a part of the western lands of Virginia, Kentucky was admitted to the union as the 15th state. Christiansburg is not only a pioneer town of Shelby County, but it is also one of the oldest towns in the state. Around 1792, the area was settled by a group of people known as the “Low Dutch.” These people, who originally settled in Pennsylvania, had immigrated from Europe due to religious discrimination. When they moved to Kentucky, Christiansburg was chosen because of the agricultural potential of the area. In 1799, the settlers established the church, a log building known as the Six Mile Meeting House, and the community began to grow. John Adams was the President of the United States at the time.
The location of the L.C. and L. Division of the L&N Railroad in Christiansburg (then known as Hinesville) brought business by the turn of the 20th century. At one time, Christiansburg was a bustling town with seven stores, a hotel, two saloons, a harness shop, wool carding machine, two blacksmith shops, two wagon maker’s shops, a grist mill, two physicians and surgeons and four churches.